The award is independent and neutral, it is presented every year to outstanding Arab writers, intellectuals, publishers as well as young talent whose writings and translations of humanities have scholarly and objectively enriched Arab cultural, literary and social life.
The award established under the patronage and support of Abu Dhabi Authority for Culture& Heritage. The award is supervised by a Higher Committee that sets the general policies and a Consultative Council to follow-up on its operational mechanisms. The value of the award totals AED 7 million.
Categories for Sheikh Zayed Book Award 2013 are Contribution to the Development of Nations, Children's literature, Young Author, Translation, Literature, Literary and Art Criticism, Arabic Culture and Non Arab Language, Publishing and Technology and Cultural Personality of the Year
The value of the award amounts to AED Seven (7) million. Every winner is granted a financial amount of AED 750,000, a golden medal bearing the logo of the award, and an appreciation certificate for the winning work. Sheikh Zayed Award for the Cultural Personality of the year receives 1 million dirhams.
Candidates are allowed to be nominated for one category per award cycle. Nominations are accepted from the following entities:
Step 1: the applicant himself / herself.
Step 2: Cultural institutions, literary unions, and universities
Step 3: Three prominent literary and cultural figures, to nominate one candidate jointly
However, the “Cultural personality of the year” Category nominations should be filled out and sent by any of the following groups:
• Three prominent figures in the cultural world
• Academic institutions
• Literary or research entities
1. The nominated work should have contributed to the development of Arabic culture.
2. The nominated work shouldn’t be previously awarded by an international/ prominent Prize.
3. The work must be published in a book format. Works, nominated for the Award of the publishing and distribution, can be in digital format.
4. The work should have been published in the last two years.
5. The nominations must be written in Arabic, except for books nominated in two categories; the Translation Award and the Arabic Culture in non-Arab language Award.
6. The work should project high standards of authenticity and creativity
7. Nomination is not accepted for more than one award each year.
8. Re-nomination for the same work is accepted if time condition is still valid. However, a new application form should be filled out and new copies of the work submitted.
9. The work must abide by the terms listed in the application form.
• The award of any category may be detained or withdrawn at the discretion of the Scientific Committee .
• The committee is allowed to take any decision it sees fit .
• Nominees are not entitled to object to the decisions of the Advisory Committee of the award.
NOMINATION PROCESS :
1. Choose the category of the award you want to apply to, as per the subject of the nominated book
2. Get the application form from the website of the Award (zayedaward.ae) or from the Award’s Executive Office
3. Fill the application form [online or print], sign it and send it to Award's Executive Office [in Abu Dhabi] including the following documents:
- Five copies of the nominated book
- Candidate's Resume.
- A valid Passport copy.
- Personal photo
4. For the translation category, candidates must send five copies of their book and five copies of the translated work
SELECTION AND JUDGING PROCESS :
- The award is supervised by a Board of Trustees and an Scientific Committee that manage a rigorous award selection process
- Every year, the Scientific Committee appoints a group of distinguished regional and international literary figures [judges] who serve on nine separate selection committees, one for each award category.
- There are 3 – 5 selection committee members [judges] per category, each of whom remain anonymous to maintain the independence and integrity of the selection process
- Each committee reviews all nominated works and submits its selections to the Scientific Committee.
- Scientific Committee reviews and approves the panel’s suggestions, which are then officially endorsed by Board of Trustees, presided over by Sheikh Zayed Bin Tahnoon Al Nayan, president of the Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority.
- The winners are announced ahead of the Abu Dhabi International Book Fair, culminating in a prestigious tribute ceremony on during March of every year.
For inquiries: email@example.com
For submissions: register online here