Deadline: 3 May 2011
South African free-to-air TV channel e.tv is calling on local screenwriters to submit scripts for their top-ranking drama series eKasi Our Stories. Each script must be for an hour-long feature, and the deadline for submission is 3 May 2011.
The channel has already produced 18 of these successful dramas, which were filmed in and around the townships of Johannesburg, from Soweto to Westbury to Leeuwkop.
EKasi Our Stories tackles the tougher side of people’s lives, focusing on the pragmatic, yet humorous, aspects of gritty township life, with real and captivating characters. The series tells the stories of women born and raised in abusive situations, and characters tested by hardship.
In 2010 four production teams were roped in, all drawing on the expertise of fresh young industry talent from different regions in
South Africa. Backstage’s Katlego Ramaphakela (who played Neo) and Charl Timotheous (who played Ziggy) were some of the young writers involved.
Big names leading the production of the dramas included director and Tribeca Short Film award winner Bheki Sibiya, Jika Majika director Neo Matsunyane, actor, director and entrepreneur Thokozani Nkosi of Eclipse Productions, and veteran writer, director and producer Vusi Twala of Seleke Communications.
The new season of eKasi, made up of 26 dramas, will continue to tell the stories of the millions of South Africans living in the townships, while training a new crop of writers, directors and filmmakers.
Who may enter:
* The program is open only to scriptwriters of South African nationality who are 18 years and older.
* Sponsor and Completion Films, along with their directors, officers and employees, and each of their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, agents or representatives and the immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of each are not eligible to apply for or be awarded the contract.
* Anyone – from first-time writers to professionals – may submit. All applications must be typed and applicants must have access to the internet and a computer. The script must be a contained story based in the township or urban areas of South Africa. Selected submissions will be notified and are expected to attend at least three days of workshops.
Submission documents can be downloaded from www.etv.co.za/ekasi-scripts.
These documents are:
* Submission form
* Disclaimer form*
* 2 page synopsis/summary of the plot, characters, world of the story (i.e. the township)
* 10 - page sample script
* Your CV
THE SUBMISSION DEADLINE IS 3 MAY 2011
*All applicants are to sign appendix 2 (Disclaimer) of e.tv’s Commissioning Protocol for Independently Produced South African Programming, which is part of the application package.
Submissions may be sent to email@example.com or dropped off, in a clearly marked envelope, at the e.tv headquarters in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban.
* Johannesburg: 5 Summit Road, Hyde Park
* Cape Town: Longkloof Studios, Darters Road, Gardens, Cape Town
* Durban: 214 Ninth Avenue, Morningside
* Press release >>
* Terms and conditions >>
* Submission form >>
More information here.